Antique Kimono Tumbler Workshop
Breathtaking use of colors. Intricate work by craftsmen. Traditional motifs and designs which embody different meanings.Imagine life in the old days when kimonos were made. Take your favourite drink in your kimono tumbler cup and anywhere can become your place of peace and relaxation.
Kimono fabrics we use at this workshop can date back from the Taishō to Shōwa period (1912 – 1940). Kimonos are passed down within families to children, and after being cherished for about three generations they are no longer worn as kimono. Instead the kimono fabric is used to create smaller items such as obi (kimono belt) or purses. In the olden days people enjoyed exchanging stories of the fabrics used for these items. Why don’t you become part of this history and tradition woven from a beautiful fabric?
|Date & Time||
Monday, Saturday, Thursday
It differs for each month. Please check the calendar
Please pay with cash on the day.
・a tumbler（340ml or 420ml）
・a kimono fabric design
You can make additional insert kimono design with ￥500 each.
|Duration||approximately 60 minutes|
・Small children must be accompanied by an adult.
・If you are a group of more than 8, please inquire.
・Workshop is in English and Japanese.
You can chose from different places.
2 minutes walk from Ichijoji Station (一乗寺駅) of Eizan Railway.
2. Furukawacho Shopping arcade (古川町商店街) Google map
1 minutes walk from Higashiyama Station (東山駅) of Subway Tozai Line.
It will be held at a community center or a cafe.
3. Ryoma-kan (龍馬館) Google map
5 minutes walk from Chushozima Station (中書島駅), or 9 minutes walk from Fushimimomoyama Station (伏見桃山駅) of Keihan Railway
Please apply 1 week before.
Office hour: Monday, Thursday, and Saturday 10:00-16:00
Choose a bottle from 2 sizes（340ml、420ml）and cloth you want to use.
Using a pattern, draw lines and cut with scissors.
Using a needle and thread, sew. Set the cloth in the tumbler and done!
Design for Autumn / Winter
Crane used to be thought to be a bird of god. It represents long life.
Design：Autumn leaves, arabesque, and camellia
Design: a sacred bamboo
It is said that this plant has power to protect us from difficulties. People used to put this at the entrance of house.
Voice of participants
- I joined the workshop with friends. We had wonderful moments, talking with each other, enjoying beautiful patterns of kimono cloth. It was a little bit challenging in sewing, but it makes the tumbler more special! It was really enjoyable to see the cloth I sawed set in the tumbler.
- It’s my very first time doing this art tumbler. I’m very clumsy person, but I will could do it very well and artistic. So, I think everyone can do it, too! It will be lots of fun. Let’s join and enjoy. （Van）
- Using old kimono fabric for tumbler- so great idea! I really liked the experience. We also learned about the meanings of the different patterns, flowers. Our sensei (teacher) was really kind and it was easy to understand what to do. Thank you very much! (Retana, Hungary)
- My first time joining the event. So fun and enjoyed the time. Thank you very much. Very nice experience for foreigners. (Vietnam)
How to enjoy
|１．Sharing the design|
You can take out the design, so you can enjoy sharing with your friends or family.
※It would be easier to keep it safe with a plastic storage case. If you make additional design, one case is included in the fee of ￥500 or you can buy one for ￥80.
|２．Change the design|
Depending on the fashion on the day, season, or where to go, it would be fun to change the design inside. Please enjoy different kimono design just like clothes.
|３．Economy & Ecology|
Increasing number of cafe offer discount if you bring your own mugs. Also, it is environmentally friendly.
Q & A
We hold the workshop at different places in Kyoto city.
Please apply 1 week before.
<How to make reservation>
１．Please check the dates of workshop and make reservation through following web form.
2．We will check if the place is available and contact you by E-mail within two days.
If place is available: The reservation is fixed.
If the place is NOT available: We will suggest other place and if you agree, the reservation is fixed. You can also cancel or reschedule if you don’t like the place.
Copyright (C) 2018 Kyokyo International All Rights Reserved.